Ground egusi 2 cups
Spinach (or other vegetable) 2 cups
Tomato sauce 4 cups
Salt 1 tsp
Chicken bouillon seasoning 1 tbsp
Cajun seasoning 1 tsp
Palm Oil 1/4 cup
Dry fish (optional) 1/2 cup
Egusi seeds are from melons. I don’t mean the seeds of watermelon that most of us are familiar with, but the seeds of citrullus lanatus. To be honest, I have never seen these special melons before, but from the few pictures I have seen, they look very similar to watermelons, and if you put them together, I might not be able to distinguish them. . From what I have heard, this is a different story. Once you enter the ‘fruit’, the meat of the egusi melon is inedible and discarded. Only harvest its seeds.
- Prepare your tomato sauce. See here for how to make tomato sauce.
2. Make a quarter of the onion into small pieces.
Leave egusi temporarily. We will prepare the ketchup when cooking.
Let’s take a look at egusi!
- Add palm oil to the cooking pot and put in a medium heat. Make sure to use a non-stick pan.
- Once the oil gets hot, add onions, spices and broth seasoning and pour in the ketchup a minute later. If you choose to use any dried fish or meat, join now. I like to add all the flavors to the oil and stew.
Note: This is a complete meal for vegetarians, leaving only all meat and fish.
3. When stewing, we will prepare a paste. If you like, you can mix the remaining onions, 1 cup of water, egusi, salt and pepper. I use a food processor, but you can also use a blender. You need a good paste.
4. When finely blended through, you should have a nice thick paste as seen below
5. Stir the stew now. Next, take a spoon and dip a little paste into the stew. Now, cover and cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Don’t Stir
6. After cooking egusi, you will see it has been cooked into a solid block. You can now add spinach or other green vegetable leaves of your choice. Allow to cook for another 5 minutes or less to keep the nutrients in the vegetables.
It’s time to dig! This is great with any Morsel. I like to use akpu, pounded yam, rice, bread, eba,
If you are not near an African or international store, you can order from Amazon.